What is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Jackknifing is a term that describes the situation where the trailer of a semi pushes the front towing vehicle to one side. Jackknifing is commonly the result of the truck driver’s negligence, allowing anyone who becomes a victim to pursue compensation.
If you’re involved in a jackknifing accident in California, it’s important you work with the right legal team to ensure you obtain the maximum compensation you’re entitled to. Reach out to the team at HN Injury Lawyers to help with your case.
Causes of truck jackknifing
Several events can lead to a truck jackknifing, but the most common direct cause is poor traction between the wheel and the road. Four causative factors lead to this situation:
- Speeding. Tight deadlines often result in commercial truck drivers speeding to stay on schedule, which can increase their likelihood of jackknifing their rig.
- Driver fatigue. A drowsy driver lacks the required attention on the road, which may result in the misuse of brakes or not seeing ice on the road. If a driver is too tired to recognize risks, the likelihood of jackknifing increases.
- Weather conditions. Truck drivers often cover long distances and as a result, weather adjustments must be made to keep the vehicle fit to drive. These changing weather patterns can affect wheel traction and may lead to jackknifing.
- Curving roads. Commercial trucks can be difficult to maneuver on long winding roads. A lack of experience driving these vehicles along roads with curves increases the likelihood of jackknifing.
- Braking issues. Unmaintained brakes won’t work when engaged and creates a dangerous situation that may result in jackknifing.
Drivers unaware of a jackknifing truck may be injured, damage their vehicles or lose their life. Jackknifing consequences range in severity but commonly occur from the trailer colliding with a smaller lightweight car. This often results in the smaller vehicle being crushed and the occupants of that vehicle receiving severe injuries such as:
Commonly, liability falls on the driver of the truck due to that person’s negligence; however, it also may be possible that other parties, such as the business that contracted with the driver or those tasked with maintaining the truck, are liable.
How can a lawyer help you?
If you’re involved in a jackknifing incident, it’s important that you engage an experienced legal team who will help you gain the maximum compensation you’re entitled to. Without legal help, it may be difficult and frustrating to recover compensation from individuals or businesses.
Legal counsel should be sought immediately after you’ve received medical attention following an accident. In order to give your suit the best chance, we recommend you document the details of the accident and book a consultation to discuss your situation with a truck accident lawyer at HN Injury Lawyers to help guide you through the legal process. Call us today at (657) 333-5726.