The Dangers of Drunk Drivers
While traffic accident-related deaths have been on the decline in recent years, there are still approximately 10,000 deaths caused by alcohol-related crashes annually in the United States. The CDC reports that alcohol plays a role in about one in every three motor vehicle deaths in this country.
Numerous warnings exist and continue to circulate about the dangers of drunk driving. Somehow drivers are still getting behind the wheel when intoxicated, albeit at lower rates than before. Sadly, it isn’t just the impaired drivers that suffer when a drunk driving accident occurs. If you or someone you love has been impacted by the poor decisions of a drunk driver, seek the counsel of a compassionate Santa Ana car accident lawyer.
3 Dangers Involved with Drinking and Driving
- Poor Judgment & Decision Making. The dangers of drinking and driving are numerous. Too much alcohol will cloud judgment, which starts with making the bad decision to get behind the wheel after you have had too much to drink. Once you are driving, you could become distracted more easily, not allow proper distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you, or cause you to ignore or misjudge traffic signals.
- Slowed Reaction Time & Lack of Coordination. Alcohol will also slow your reaction time and decrease your coordination, making you a risky driver at best. Not being able to respond as quickly to a situation while driving because you are under the influence puts everyone at risk. Your hand foot and eye coordination will be off, and your reflexes will be slower.
- Decreased Vision. It’s obvious that you need a good vision to drive, and vision is also impacted by drinking. You may not see clearly, lose control over your own movement or misjudge the distance between your car and other cars or objects. Your peripheral vision, which is essential to safe driving, may also be impacted.
The Legal Dangers of a DUI
If someone is stopped for drinking and driving or causes an accident while drinking and driving, their legal troubles are only beginning. They will likely be arrested and face legal charges for a DUI. Additionally, anyone they injure or cause property damage to can hire their own Santa Ana car accident lawyer and pursue a claim in civil court, which is entirely separate from their criminal case. The driver or their auto insurance company may need to pay a settlement or a court award to the plaintiff in addition to the legal fines they owe. Drinking and driving simply isn’t worth it for anyone.
Damages in Civil Drunk Driving Cases
Damages are the financial representation of the inconveniences and losses suffered by a plaintiff in a personal injury case. They are different and demanded in varying amounts depending on the case. Some damages stem directly from financial losses, while others represent other types of losses suffered by the victim. With the help of an experienced Santa Ana car accident lawyer, drunk driving injury victims usually claim damages for their:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
- Medical bills
- Long term care
- Loss of earning ability
Hit by a Drunk Driver? Turn to an Experienced Santa Ana Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you love is suffering from the actions of a drunk driver, you need the help of an experienced Santa Ana car accident lawyer. With an attorney on your side, you can pursue the monetary compensation you deserve for the damages caused by the drunk driver.
Contact Hess & Nghiem today to schedule your case evaluation by calling (657) 333-5726 or use our online contact form. We serve clients in Orange County, Los Angeles County, Riverside County, and San Bernardino County. Accidents can happen at any time. Day or night, we are available to help.