Jackknife Accident Lawyers in Santa Ana
Jackknife accidents occur when the driver loses control of the truck’s trailer, which causes it to swing outward, forming an L-shape. These types of accidents could cause major damage and severe injuries due to the size and weight of the trailer as well as the force of impact. If you sustained injuries in a jackknife accident, it is crucial to hire skilled legal counsel as soon as possible. At HN Injury Lawyers, our Santa Ana truck accident lawyers are committed to providing compassionate legal support and knowledgeable advice. You can rely on our team to clearly communicate any updates about your case and give you the care and attention you deserve. Reach out to our law office today at (657) 333-5726 to schedule a free case review to get started.
Jackknife accidents could be caused by any number of missteps and issues, including:
- Speeding: For trucks in California, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph. When truck drivers exceed the speed limit, these types of devastating accidents are more likely to happen.
- Overloaded or improperly loaded trailers: Trailers generally carry some pretty heavy cargo and, when they are not loaded properly, a jackknife accident could occur.
- Inexperienced drivers: Driving a truck is unlike driving a passenger vehicle. Drivers are trained on how to apply their brakes to prevent jackknife accidents. Unfortunately, when drivers lack experience or are not adequately trained, they could brake too hard, causing an accident.
- Poor maintenance: Trucks are driven over vast distances, which means they warrant more regular maintenance. Otherwise, something in the truck may malfunction, resulting in a jackknife accident.
- Drunk driving: When truckers drink alcohol or take other controlled substances, it could reduce their reaction time and reflexes.
- Fatigued driving: Although the number of hours truckers can drive is regulated by the federal government, these regulations are sometimes ignored. Fatigued driving can be comparable to drunk driving, given how substantially it can affect one’s reaction time and ability to focus.
A jackknife accident could occur anywhere trucks travel, but they typically happen on major roads and highways. They are substantially dangerous because of the amount of harm they could cause to those involved. These are some of the most common injuries sustained in jackknife accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Severe burns
Many of these injuries could have long-term or lifelong consequences requiring extensive care and medical treatment. Compensation for a personal injury claim could cover these expenses, along with missed wages, reduced earning capacity, property damage, and pain and suffering. That is why it is crucial to speak to an experienced Santa Ana jackknife accident attorney as soon as possible to help you navigate each step.
You are undoubtedly going through a difficult time if you were involved in a jackknife accident and sustained injuries. At HN Injury Lawyers, our Santa Ana personal injury lawyers understand your challenges. We could provide knowledgeable legal advice and stand up to the insurance companies, so you could have a better chance of securing the compensation you deserve. Our team has over 50 years of combined experience and has tried over 100 jury trials. We also work on a contingency fee basis, which means you will not pay us any legal fees unless we win your case. Call us today at (657) 333-5726 to schedule a free consultation.