Santa Ana Parking Lot Accident Attorneys
When going about your daily errands or tasks, parking your vehicle in a parking lot is an everyday occurrence that most of us consider to be safe. Malls, grocery stores, salons, schools, no matter where you go, it is likely you will be in a parking lot. You may rarely think about the dangers, but parking lots are high-risk areas. Walking through a parking lot puts you at risk of being hit by a moving vehicle as it backs out or is moving through the lot looking for a space. Negligent drivers may be lax in checking for pedestrians or other vehicles and cause serious or fatal injuries.
The types of parking lots in Santa Ana where parking lots accidents commonly occur include:
- Shopping Centers
- Event and Entertainment Venues
- Medical Centers
- Santa Ana Zoo
- Golf Courses
- 4th Street Market
- Pacific Symphony
- Gyms and Fitness Centers
- Work Parking Areas
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a parking lot accident, it is imperative that you are represented by a Santa Ana injury attorney to help you with your claim or lawsuit. HN Injury Lawyers offers legal counsel to assist injured people and their families to pursue justice and full compensation for all damages. Call (657) 333-5726 to discuss your legal matter.
A range of very serious injuries take place in parking lot accidents. The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) reports that 1600 people sustained fatal injuries in parking lot accidents every year, many of whom are pedestrians or cyclists, with 91,000 people sustaining non-fatal injuries. The types of injuries reported in these incidents include:
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Joint Injuries
- Crush Injuries
- Internal Organ Damage
- Fatal Injuries
The National Safety Council (NSC) conducted an opinion poll to identify the types of dangerous actions drivers may take while moving through a parking lot. This survey reveals the staggering percentage of drivers are willing to engage in negligent driving behavior in parking lots:
- 66% report they would make cellphone calls
- 63% report programming GPS systems
- 56% report texting while driving
- 52% report using social media
- 50% report sending or receiving emails
- 49% report taking pictures or watching videos
A driver who engages in these negligent driving actions must be held accountable for the injuries and losses they inflict on innocent people. Based on the type of injury, the need for extensive medical care, and the personal and emotional damages, the value of the claim can be determined by your Santa Ana car accident attorney.
Many factors can play a role in a serious or fatal parking lot accident. Many vehicle operators fail to take their responsibility for the safety of others seriously, leading to a tragic accident. These factors include:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is any action that takes your eyes and attention off the act of operating your vehicle, whether a conversation with a passenger, adjusting in-vehicle systems, talking, texting, or sending emails on your cellphone or in-vehicle hands-free system. Navigating a car, truck, SUV, or other vehicle in a parking lot requires your full attention or may lead to a disaster.
- Drunk or Drug Impaired Driving: Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs are less aware and make poor decisions. Many people who visit restaurants, bars, or event venues have consumed alcohol, and while under the influence, hit a pedestrian in a parking lot.
- Speeding: It may seem obvious that slow, careful driving is necessary in a parking lot, but we have all seen drivers who choose to speed through the area, putting all pedestrians or cyclists at risk of severe injury or death.
- Aggressive Driving Behavior: Particularly during the holiday season when shoppers are flocking to retail stores, the risks of a parking lot accident are exceptionally high, and some drivers are aggressive in trying to find a good spot, and drive in a manner that puts pedestrians at risk.
- Drowsy Driving: Drivers who lack enough sleep can be as dangerous as drug or alcohol impaired driving. The reactions are slower, and a driver may suddenly back out of a spot without looking, reverse out too quickly, or do not react quickly and fail to come to an immediate stop if a pedestrian appears.
Santa Ana lawmakers have established many regulations to increase parking lot safety under Section 36-432 of the Santa Ana Code of Ordinances, which include but are not limited to:
- It is a violation to exceed 10 mph
- It is a violation to enter or leave a parking lot through any curb not marked as entrance or exit
- It is a violation to park a vehicle outside of the parallel lines
- It is a violation to consume alcoholic beverages in a parking lot
The legal team at HN Injury Lawyers has achieved many high-value settlements and jury awards. These achievements reflect the dedication, professionalism and care we provide our clients. Every detail will be evaluated, including parking lot design, lighting, and security to determine the parties who may be held liable. Our process is professional, thorough, and geared to achieve a positive outcome.
Contact HN Injury Lawyers for representation after a parking lot accident in Orange County. We have more than 50 years of combined experience and are trial lawyers who have served at over 100 jury trials. Call (657) 333-5726 for a free initial consultation, with no time limit.